Mugler’s Homer

I haven’t been posting this week because I just got a new apartment and have been moving. The new place is awesome! My new room is more than twice the size of my old one, and the kitchen is incredible. And now I have enough room to have my sewing machine, so it’s time to start all those projects I’ve had in mind.

In other news, today I watched the video of the Mugler Fall 2011 Women’s collection, and it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The whole thing is stunning – the music, the hair styles, make up, stage, everything. And of course the clothing is amazing. But it actually went beyond that for me. I’ve always thought that fashion was about communicating human struggles with human things – modern Epics constructed out of cloth and dreams, wrapped around the bodies of men and women, put to music and placed on a stage. But I’ve never felt it as fiercely I did when watching this video. I don’t know what it was, but something about it really rang with me. I might be crazy, or maybe it’s just the fact that it’s really late, or maybe Nicola Formichetti is just an absolute genius. I’m going to have to watch this a few more times to figure this out.

Actually talking about the collection though: I love the silhouettes of Formichetti’s designs. The sculpted sleeves and the elegant, sleek lines remind me strongly of skeletons. Combined with the archways, it all brought me back to the Catacombs in Paris, which I explored this last March. The makeup and the hair, however, still give it a very alive, intense element. Details as small as the smooth, glossy arcs made by the models’ ponytails snapping around as the they turned on the catwalk really stand out to me.

My absolute favorite look is the first one down the runway. I love how it’s androgynous and almost masculine, especially combined with how the model’s hairstyle, but still somehow emphasizes the elegance of her very feminine body at the same time. I also love the juxtaposition of her very graceful, classic runway walk with the almost drunken stagger near the beginning.

This is why I love fashion.