Alice

So I decided today to try a more whimsical outfit (versatility etc). I’ve used the same shoes and the same colors as the last one.

The shirt is from Putomayo, a Japanese lolita/punk brand. The text references the Wizard of Oz, although I think the decor looks more Alice in Wonderland-ish. I also have this hilariously adorable and sort of macabre hoodie from them that you’ll probably see at some point.

The puffy skirt, a favorite of mine, is from a random store in the basement of Kichijoji station, where I spent a lot of my time my first summer in Tokyo. It’s very versatile, and I like how it makes my waist look smaller because of its volume. The one problem with the skirt is that the ties that hold it in that puffy shape often come undone, and fixing them in public is sort of awkward.

The hat that I’m wearing has been called by friends my Mario hat and my communist hat, among other things. I happen to think it’s really cute and helps, along with my shoes and giant cherry earrings, add a bit of color to the very monochrome outfit. I got it in Paris when I was on my crazy backpacking trip in March. The cherries were a gift from Jasmine during our last round of Secret Stereotype (er, don’t ask). They were a gag gift and are a bit heavy, but I’ve actually worn them a bunch since then.

Also, I got a haircut recently! My hair’s wet because I’d just come out of the shower, but here you go:

Every time my hair gets to about chin length, I start dithering over whether or not I want to grow it out or cut it all off again. Inevitably, I’ll be walking somewhere or have a couple hours free, and I’ll almost impulse decide that I want it gone. This time I went to the John Brody Salon in the Castro and asked them to cut my hair like Kate Lanphear.

I was a bit worried that it wouldn’t turn out as well, since my face isn’t as thin as hers is, but I think it turned out pretty well. Hopefully I’ll be as stylish as she is one day.